Relationships take work. Bringing two individuals together, who have two different perspectives, experiences, and lifestyles is not always simple. When you first got together, it was all so easy. Your connection was undeniable, and your relationship brought you so much happiness that you couldn’t imagine any problems down the road.
Conflict is inevitable in any partnership, and sometimes, these conflicts feel insurmountable. If you’re dealing with a problem in your relationship that feels hopeless, it may be time for couples therapy in Palatine.
Do We Need Couples Therapy?
Couples seek counseling for a wide variety of issues. For example:
- Infidelity — Couples who have experienced infidelity may seek couples counseling to rebuild trust. After a betrayal, many emotions may come to the surface that make it difficult to communicate effectively. A couples therapist can act as a guide through these conversations, helping to create a safe space for both partners to express themselves and work towards a solution.
- Communication problems — People change over time. You may have felt that communication was seamless with your partner when you first got together, yet now, it’s much more difficult. Couples therapy can help you develop the tools to communicate with your partner, enhancing your connection.
- Intimacy issues — It can be difficult to talk to your partner about sexual issues in your relationship, yet many couples experience problems with intimacy. You may struggle with different sex drives, different sexual desires, or sexual dysfunction. A skilled couples counselor can help you work through these issues so you can experience greater satisfaction in your relationship.
- Parenting conflicts — Having children can change our relationships, and sometimes, conflict can arise based on different parenting expectations. Some couples struggle to split parenting responsibilities in an equitable way that makes sense for their family. Others may have a completely different idea of how to go about raising children. In therapy, couples can have a mediator to help discuss these types of topics that can bring up some difficult emotions in a productive way.
- Financial problems — Many couples struggle to talk about money, or did not discuss how they would manage their finances before they got married. If you and your partner have different ideas about how to manage finances, it can understandably cause conflict. Couples counseling may help you get on the same page so that you can reduce stress around financial pressures in your partnership.
- Premarital counseling — You may have a perfectly healthy relationship, but wish to seek counseling before you make the commitment of marriage. Many couples find that going to therapy together before their wedding so they know they are on the same page in terms of communication, life goals, and important issues such as finances and parenting.
What to Expect from Couples Therapy
Couples may hesitate to go to therapy together because they aren’t sure what to expect. At the beginning of therapy, your counselor will spend some time getting to know each of you as individuals and learning about your relationship. From there, your therapist will help you pinpoint the problems that brought you into therapy, and help you identify solutions that can help you past your issues.
As solution-focused therapists, we offer an approach that helps many couples move past their issues. We identify the goal of our time together, and use that to inform our conversations. In addition, you can expect to have homework to work on outside of the session to reinforce the tools and skills you are learning from your therapist.
If you and your partner are struggling in your relationship, there is hope. Contact us for a skilled couples counselor in Palatine!